"TV. If kids are entertained by two letters, imagine the fun they'll have with twenty-six. Open your child's imagination. Open a book." -Author Unknown
Policies and procedures
- Pre-K students may check out one book at a time.
- Kindergarteners may check out one book at a time. Kindergarteners who participate in the AR program, may check out two books at a time.
- First through fifth graders may check out up to three books at a time.
- Students who make the A Honor Roll can earn a "free book" coupon which allows them to check out up to four books at a time.
- Options for paying for lost books include paying in full or paying in installments of $5 per month.
Competitive reading contests
This year, the librarian will be hosting competitive reading contests. The kindergarten and first grade classes will compete in the Texas 2 X 2 listening division. Second graders will compete in the Silver and Gold Seal division, and third, fourth, and fifth graders will compete in the Bluebonnet division. The classes (in each division) that make the most progress by the end of the semester will win a popsicle party.
The Junior Library Crew
The Junior Library Crew (JLC) is comprised of a group of Shugart students who volunteer their time to help in the library. The 2015-2016 helpers include: Onene Gomba, Jenny Truong, Breanna Mead, and Victoria Robinson. We appreciate these students for helping to keep our library organized.
The library staff
Monica Black earned a Master of Library Science Degree from Sam Houston State University in 2013. She began working at Shugart that same year. Cassandra Law has a B.A. Degree in Theater and one in Speech Pathology. She began working at Shugart in 2015.
Students can look up quiz numbers. Additionally, students can find the following helpful information:
IL = interest level
LG = lower grades
MG = middle grades
UG = upper grades (meaning 8-12th grade)
BL = similar to a reading level -- given in numbers such as 4.2, 5.1
AR Pts = points available for 100% on the test
Quiz Type = kind of quiz students can take - they all have reading practice test as the type.
Some have additional vocabulary tests, too. Click here for more AR information.