Download QR scanners
During the 2016-2017 school year, the library staff will use QR codes to share information about the Shugart library. We are asking parents to download QR apps so that they will be ready for next school year. Right now, check this link to find out about reading and book-related activities.
Dewey Decimal System
It really helps to memorize some of the Dewey numbers. Use this PowerPoint to help you. Knowing some Dewey numbers helps you to find books more quickly in the library.
Policies and procedures
- Pre-K may check out one book at a time.
- Kindergarteners may check out one book at a time. Kindergarteners who participate in the AR program, may check out two books at a time.
- First through fifth graders may check out up to three books at a time.
- Students who make the A Honor Roll can earn a "free book" coupon which allows them to check out up to four books at a time.
- Options for paying for lost books include paying in full or paying in installments of $5 per month.
Check out this video to learn the procedures students follow when they visit the library with their class.
The library staff
Monica Black earned a Master of Library Science Degree from Sam Houston State University in 2013. She began working at Shugart that same year. Cassandra Law has a B.A. Degree in Theater and one in Speech Pathology. She began working at Shugart in 2015.
Students can look up quiz numbers. Additionally, students can find the following helpful information:
IL = interest level
LG = lower grades
MG = middle grades
UG = upper grades (meaning 8-12th grade)
BL = similar to a reading level -- given in numbers such as 4.2, 5.1
AR Pts = points available for 100% on the test
Quiz Type = kind of quiz students can take - they all have reading practice test as the type.
Some have additional vocabulary tests, too. Click here for more AR information.