Reading around the fireplace
Check our our faux fireplace. We have used encyclopedias to make a clever area for reading to younger students. What a great way to get ready for all of the fantastic books students and parents can share during the holiday season.
Dewey Decimal System
It really helps to memorize some of the Dewey numbers. Use this PowerPoint to help you. Knowing some Dewey numbers helps you to find books more quickly in the library.
Policies and procedures
- Pre-K may check out one board book at a time.
- Kindergarteners may check out one book at a time.
- First through fifth graders may check out up to three books at a time.
- Students who make the A Honor Roll can earn a "free book" coupon which allows them to check out up to four books at a time.
- Options for paying for lost books include paying in full or paying in installments of $5 per month.
Read the books that win the medals
Our library has so many wonderful books. If you are having trouble narrowing your choices, consider looking for the books that win the medals. Challenge your self to learn about the Pura Belpre Award, the Caldecott and Newberry Awards, Texas 2x2 books, the Coretta Scott King Award, and Texas Bluebonnet books.
Click here for a list of works cited.
The library staff
Monica Black earned a Master of Library Science Degree from Sam Houston State University in 2013. She began working at Shugart that same year. Cassandra Law has a B.A. Degree in Theater and one in Speech Pathology. She began working at Shugart in 2015.