Guidance & Counseling
Get to Know Your Counselor
Hi my name is Maria Welch. I have been with Rowlett Elementary since 1999.
My focus is to provide all students with a caring, encouraging and supportive environment so that they can be happy and successful in school. I advocate respect for self and others, encourage honesty, wise decision making, and taking personal responsibility. I am available, not only to address student needs, but those of parents and staff as well. I am always eager to work with parents, faculty, and community resources in order to provide opportunities to meet the needs of our Rowlett family.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact me!
Phone: (972) 475-3380
Guidance with Mrs. Welch
This semester in guidance we will be discussing:
- Diversity/Cross-Cultural Awareness
- Choice of Subject (5th grade)
- Character Ed. (Fairness, Respect, Caring, Responsibility)
- Personal Safety (WHO Program)
Many parents may not have heard of the Who program, for more information go to the website Who Program
What Can My Counselor Do For Me?
Counselors will help you by:
- reviewing your choice of subject during the registration period (February - April)
- providing study skills and academic information
- providing career and college information
- helping in teacher/student relationships
- helping cope with family issues
- listening to concerns about friends, etc.
- giving you information about life and decision-making skills
- referring you to people or places outside of school for help if necessary
- being your advocate – counselors are here for you!
Counselors for each campus are certified by the state of Texas in School Counseling, have a Master’s Degree, and previous teaching experience. Each elementary school has a guidance counselor to help ensure that adequate support for helping students to succeed and meet their goals is available.
Visit the district website for more information about the GISD Guidance & Counseling programs.
Galaxy Counseling Smart Living SeriesParenting a Child with ADHD
This event is free and open to the public
Wednesday October 1, 2014
6:00 – 7p.m.
Galaxy Counseling Center 1025 S. Jupiter Rd Garland, TX 75025
Many kids are now getting onto Facebook to keep in contact with their friends. The following link provides information for parents to help with Internet safety for their children. SafeKids
Garland ISD HERO Week!
Sept 22-26 has been designated as Garland ISD HERO Week. It stands for Help Everyone Respect Others. The week is designed to increase student awareness of respecting others and preventing bullying in schools and in the community. www.bullying.org
College and Career Readiness
Ready ...Career, College, life is a program integral part of GISD culture, helping students to explore, plan and act is a part of daily life in the classroom and special events across the district.