- View Career Videos
- Careers K - 5
- Career Exploration
- Shorehaven Counselor's Corner
- Information About Counseling Available At Shorehaven
- Ten Ways To Be A Great Parent
- GISD Ready! College/Career/Life Program Now Available!
Anita Roland, School Counselor
Certifications: BS Degree, Computer Science, University of Lafayette, LA; Masters, School Counseling, Amberton University.
Mrs. Roland joined the Dallas Independent School District in 1994, and the Garland Independent School District in 2000. In 2008, she came to us in Shorehaven, where she has excelled at her job.
Sra. Roland comenzó su carrera en el distrito independiente de Dallas en 1994, y se trasladó al distrito independiente de garland en el año 2000. En 2008, se mudó a Shorehaven, donde ha tenido muchísimo éxito.
Get to Know Our Counselor
Our School Counselor, Anita Roland, is available to learners throughout the school day. You may reach Mrs. Roland at 972-494-8346 during school hours.
Mrs. Roland knows how to help any student with any problem, large or small. If a student needs help with bullies, or a brother or sister is teasing too much, or some thoughtless person is insulting our valued scholar... or even if there is a situation outside of school that worries our student... Mrs. Roland knows just what to do, whom to call, and what to say to make the coming days brighter and better. We're very lucky to have her!
Nuestra consejera, Anita Roland, está en su oficina durante el día escolar. Padres pueden llamarla al 972-494-8346 en ese tiempo.
Sra. Roland tiene la experiencia para ayudar los estudiantes con cualquier problema, si necesitan ayuda con abusadores, ó con problemas domésticos, ó si tienen problemas con otros estudiantes. Afuera de la escuela, en el hogar, o entre nuestras paredes, ella sabe que hacer, quien llamar, y que decir para arreglar la situación. ¡Tenemos mucha suerte que está con nosotros!
6) Build your child's self-esteem by showing appreciation for all genuine efforts.
Counselors will help you by:
- reviewing your choice of subject during the registration period (February - April)
- providing study skills and academic information
- providing career and college information
- helping in teacher/student relationships
- helping cope with family issues
- listening to concerns about friends, etc.
- giving you information about life and decision-making skills
- referring you to people or places outside of school for help if necessary
- being your advocate – counselors are here for you!
In addition, Counselors also are in charge of:
- Character Counts Classroom Presentations explaining the 6 Character Traits: Trustworthiness. Responsibility, Respect, Citizenship, Caring, and Fairness
- College and Career Readiness: Including campus college displays and activities, College Day, and Elementary College EXPO (May)
- R-Time Anti- Bullying Program
- Career and Course Planning
- Child Abuse training for teachers and staff
- Anti victimization ( e.g., We Help Ourselves, Safety Net, and Home Alone)
- Individual and small group counseling
- Consultation with teachers, parents and staff
Counselors for each campus are certified by the state of Texas in School Counseling, have a Master’s Degree, and previous teaching experience. Each elementary school has a guidance counselor to help ensure that adequate support for helping students to succeed and meet their goals is available.
Visit the district website for more information about the GISD Guidance & Counseling programs.
The Ready! site, campus staff and district departments work together to provide a variety of events to spark imaginations and provide assistance. Come back often for information and highlights of featured activities such as College Day, Career Days, financial aid workshops and more.is an integral part of the GISD culture. Helping students to explore, plan, and take actions that help them prepare for the future is part of daily life in the classroom and special events across the district. In addition to the academic rigor of our classrooms and the variety of resources on this
El programa Ready!, maestros y departamentos en el distrito trabajan sin descanso para traerles eventos especiales para embullar nuestros estudiantes en la idea de ir a colegio ó universidad. Regrese frecuentemente para encontrar más detalles de Día de Colegios, Día de Carreras, ayuda financial, y más.es una parte muy importante de la cultura de GISD. Cada día, programas y maestros en el distrito ayudan a nuestros estudiantes a prepararse para su futuro en la educación formal. Además del rigor de las clases diarias y las ventajas describidas en el website