Get to know your counselor
Hello Shugart Sheriffs!! My name is Bethany Godinez, and I am your School Counselor! I have been at Shugart Elementary since 2008, and consider this community my extended family. I have witnessed many students come and go through Shugart, and it has been a privilege to watch them grow and prosper into their higher educational endeavors.
I have my undergraduate degree in Interdisciplinary Studies, with a specialization in Reading. My graduate degree is in School Counseling.
I am here to support our students, community, and staff here at Shugart Elementary. Please let me know if there is any way that I may assist your child’s education.
The counselor and college readiness
In order to highlight the importance of college readiness, our counselor stays busy making sure our students are thinking about this subject. She provides students with lessons about college and career interests. She makes sure there are visual representations about college throughout our school. Also, she highlights GISD events such as Career Day and the upcoming College Expo.
What else can my counselor do for me?
Counselors will help you by:
- reviewing your choice of subject during the registration period (February - April)
- providing study skills and academic information
- providing career and college information
- helping in teacher/student relationships
- helping cope with family issues
- listening to concerns about friends, etc.
- giving you information about life and decision-making skills
- referring you to people or places outside of school for help if necessary
- being your advocate – counselors are here for you!
Counselors for each campus are certified by the state of Texas in School Counseling, have a Master’s Degree, and previous teaching experience. Each elementary school has a guidance counselor to help ensure that adequate support for helping students to succeed and meet their goals is available.
Visit the district website for more information about the GISD Guidance & Counseling programs.