Guidance & Counseling
Get to Know Your Counselor
Welcome Shugart Sheriffs! My name is Bethany Godinez! I have been the school counselor at Shugart Elementary since 2008, and have been with the Garland Independent School District since 2001. I have my undergraduate degree in interdisciplinary studies, with a specialization in reading. My graduate degree is in school counseling.
I have an amazingly funny ten year old son, who is a fifth grader in the district. He and I love and care for our eleven year old Italian Greyhound, Chino. In my spare time, you can find me spending time with my family and friends, practicing Yoga, and trying my best not to take myself too seriously!
I am excited about this coming year, and look forward to getting to know all of the Shugart Sheriff parents and students. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. I am always here to help. J
I Can DREAM to be:
1st Grading Period
2nd Grading Period
3rd Grading Period
4th Grading Period
5th Grading Period
6th Grading Period
What Can My Counselor Do For Me?
Counselors will help you by:
- reviewing your choice of subject during the registration period (February - April)
- providing study skills and academic information
- providing career and college information
- helping in teacher/student relationships
- helping cope with family issues
- listening to concerns about friends, etc.
- giving you information about life and decision-making skills
- referring you to people or places outside of school for help if necessary
- being your advocate – counselors are here for you!
Counselors for each campus are certified by the state of Texas in School Counseling, have a Master’s Degree, and previous teaching experience. Each elementary school has a guidance counselor to help ensure that adequate support for helping students to succeed and meet their goals is available.
Visit the district website for more information about the GISD Guidance & Counseling programs.