Advancement Via Individual Determination is a system that helps students prepare for college. Students are enrolled in an elective class that provides skills in writing, inquiry, collaboration, organization and reading. Students engage in tutorials facilitated by college students, Socratic seminars, field trips to college campuses, and presentations on college and career readiness. Students will organize their school materials in a binder, take daily Cornell notes, and use a calendar to keep track of important dates. AVID students will enroll in rigorous courses, while keeping satisfactory citizenship, good attendance, passing grades and an overall 2.5 GPA.
Ansil Howard - AVID Administrator
Davalyn Dixon - AVID Counselor
Carmen Chadwick - Coordinator
Applications should be sent to Carmen Chadwick.
- Academic success in college preparatory courses.
- Successful completion of college eligibility requirements by focusing on the most rigorous courses offered at my school.
- Enrollment in four-year College or University after high school graduation.
- Come to class with completed Tutorial Request form, ready to participate and learn.
- Maintain satisfactory citizenship and attendance in all classes.
- Turn in every assignment to every class on time.
- Maintain and bring to class organized binder with Cornell notes, learning logs and planner.
- Take Cornell notes in all classes.
- Maintain enrollment in dual credit, AP, and other rigorous courses.
- Participate in at least one extra-curricular activity
- Participate in AVID events outside of school hours, including service projects
- Maintain at least a 3.0 GPA.
- Individual Counseling with elective teacher or site team member
- Parent Contact
- Action/Probation Plan including meeting with parent and administrator
- Site Committee meeting to determine eligibility to remain in program
Note: Removal due to multiple probations will be at the discretion of the site team