Home of the Eagles
Austin Academy receives honor for STAAR results
Austin Academy was recently recognized for our 8th grade STAAR results. We rank 5th in the North Texas area and 11th in the state overall. The rating is based on academic growth of the students from year to year as well as passing rates and attendance. For more information, please visit the Children at Risk website.
Vex Robotics travels to California
After three long, hard days of competition, our team is returning tired, pleased with their performance, and ready with ideas for next year.
While we didn't bring back any trophies, the learning experience was tremendous. Please congratulate Tien, Evan, and Jevin on representing our school and our state with gracious professionalism.
Our 4-6 record does not reflect the true picture. Our team was consistent, kept us in every match, and even defeated the third ranked undefeated team. They fought hard every match despite having alliance partners who struggled. The fact that these guys were competing at such a high level with the second robot they had ever built is unheard of.
We were allied with teams from Puerto Rico, Mexico, Bahrain, China, Singapore, the US and many more. They had to overcome language barriers to develop strategies. I think we figured out every way imaginable to communicate and probably gave one of the best on the spot interviews with judges I have ever seen.
Experience pushed the winning teams over us. However, our team walked over to the other teams and shook hands with everyone including the referees. Seven months of hard work and spending over 600 extra hours on this really did pay off.
A big thank you to all who encouraged them. A big thank you also goes out to Mr. Bankston for his hard work and long days to get the team ready.
June 10 - 14, 2013
Register by May 20th
Seats are limited!
Book Bytes Winner
Congratulations to Reem for taking Second Place in this year's Book Bytes Competition. His video can be viewed in our Media Gallery.
In the Know
- Author Gary Schmidt will be our visiting guest speaker in Oct. He is the author of "Wednesday Wars" and the sequel "Okay for Now"
- Summer Reading Lists for 6th, 7th and 8th grade students honor our guest author, Gary Schmidt.
- Progress reports were sent home on May 14. Please sign and return the report asap.
- The last report card is mailed home. Please confirm that the office has the correct address on file.
- School supply packs for incoming 6th, 7th, and 8th graders available through the office and online. A flyer was sent home with students. Packs will be delivered at the beginning of the next school year.
- Austin Academy PTA was recognized for having the most entries in the Environmental Competition this year.
back to top
back to top