Home of the Eagles
Austin Eagle Traditions
Our school was established over 50 years ago, then rededicated as a magnet more than 25 years ago. During that time many traditions have come and gone. But one tradition that never changes is our dedication to Excellence.
Our traditions run deeply in our academic talents. Each year, students participate in various science activities during the fall semester. These have included the well-loved catapult competition, the duct tape structure, Rube Goldberg competition, and the balsa wood flyer. Our students are applying knowledge and experiences to stretch their learning.
Austin Academy Fine Arts Department is also filled with tradition. It is a rare occurence when our groups do not receive superior ratings at competition. We have more students in the All-Region/District groups than any other local schools. At the end of every choir performance, current students as well as former students are invited to sing "Irish Blessing" which was written especially for our choirs.
We take pride in our cutural traditions too. Annually, we celebrate Cinco de Mayo with a performance by our Ballet Folklorico dancers. We celebrate with food in our Spanish classes. During Mardi Gras, our french classes enjoy French based foods. We also enjoy seeing performances by our Eagle students during the Multicultural Festival.
We also have a tradition of charity that we teach our students. Each year, our teachers participate in Relay for Life; it's a tradition that is over 10 years old. We ask students to help raise money by recycling cans and bottles. Our teachers also help through United Way and Blue Jeans for Babies. Our students learn charity through the canned food drive and Box Tops for Education.
Other annual events that are eagerly anticipated throughout the year include:
- Author visit
- Sandy Lake competitions
- Sports activities and games
- Red Ribbon Week
- "Outsiders" read by our 7th graders
- Living Voices
- Frog Dissection
- 6th grade field trip to museums in Dallas.
As you can see, Austin Academy is alive with tradition.
In Mrs. Brown's Honor
We wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for their generous donations to Heifer International to honor the memory of Mrs. Becky Brown. We, the students, faculty, staff and parents, raised $1400. We have requested that the money be put towards the following:
- Clean water
- Hope Basket of chickens and rabbits
- Irrigations pumps
- Education for a year for a young girl
- Women's Empowerment (self-sufficiency training for a single mother).
Through our donations and the work of Heifer International, the ripples of Mrs. Brown's influence will be felt world-wide. Thank you.
Reflections Entry Results
We wish to congratulate the students that entered the Reflections contest this year. Of the 16 entries, 5 will go on to compete at the district level. Please join the PTA in wishing them good luck.
- Karen W
- Phoebe H
- Renata G
- Kyle C
- Clara T
In the Know
- Educational summits are being held to determine the direction our district should take. Parents, students, and teachers are encouraged to attend. Please see the links in the right banner for more information.
- The district is also seeking the opinion of student, parents, and teachers and about the current and future use of technology in the classroom and beyond. The survey takes about 30 minutes to complete. The "Speak Up" link can be found in the right banner.
- Another opportunity to have your voice heard is through the Strategic Process Survey. This survey is open through Dec 4.
back to top
back to top