AVID - Decades of College Dreams
Coyle Middle School is currently seeking students who want to participate in the AVID program.
Student selection will begin soon & an appliction must be completed and turned in to Mr. Grafford. before February 20th. The following are requirements to be followed in order to be accepted into the AVID program:
1. The students must have the individual determination to attend college.
2. The students must be willing to give up an elective class in order to take the AVID Elective class.
3. The student must enroll in at least one advanced class (Honors) every semester that they are enrolled in the AVID Elective class.
4. The student must pass the STARR tests and/or End of Course exams.
Students can get an application from Mr. Grafford in room 16. If you have any questions you can email Mr. Grafford.
Grade Cedit Recovery
The district offers students with failing grades in Regulars level, Math, Science, Social Studies Reading or English the opportunity to recover failing grades. This is an online program that students can do at home or on any internet connected device. There will also be computers available Tuesday and Thursday afternoons from 4:00 – 5:00 pm in Lab 28. Students will work through a series of online lessons and quizzes based on the objectives that were covered during that grading period or semester. Students that complete the lessons with a 70% or higher will receive a passing grade of 70 in the official gradebook.
In order for a student to receive the passing grade:
- All of the online work for Grading Cycle 3 failures must be completed by February 25.
- Semester One credit recovery must also be completed by February 25.
If you have any questions, please call Coyle at 972-475-3711 or email Patty Rymer
Grade Credit Recovery
After School Schedule – Computer Lab 28
- Every Tuesday and Thursday afterschool 4:00 – 5:00
- Saturday, February 7 from 8:00 am - 12:00pm
- Saturday, February 14 from 8:00am - 12:00pm
Choice of School Period for 2015-2016
Jan. 22, 2015 – Feb. 20, 2015
Mar. 19, 2015 – Apr. 17, 2015
AVID is at Coyle
Coyle is excited to be a part of the AVID college readiness program. The entire campus is embracing the AVID strategies that research shows help increase the retention rate of newly learned material. Students will learn note-taking skills, study skills, organizational skills and many more ways to prepare them for college and beyond. For more information, visit www.avid.org.
Family Involvement At School
According to the National Coalition for Parent Involvement in education, research studies support:
- Students do better academically and socially when schools build positive relationships with families.
- Parent involvement in education is crucial. No matter their income or background, students with involved parents are more likely to have higher grades and test scores, have better social skills, and show improved behavior.
Skyward Family Access
Are you logging in to see your students grades and attendance online? Please take a moment to verify that the contact email adress(es) on file in Skyward are accurate. Skyward will be a major form of communication from the school to you. Important information from teachers and administrators at Coyle communicated throughout the year using Skyward. If you are new to Skyward:
- Visit this page on GISD's website for more information.
- Steps to Creating and Activating GISD Family Access Account.
- Family Access Account has many features including your student's grade book, attendance, messages from teachers and administration about upcoming events and news.
Parent Connection Newsletter
GISD Parent Monthly Newsletters are designed to help you help your child achieve academic success.
Vote for Your Favorite Teacher to Win Teacher of the Month
At the end of each month the GISD teacher with the most votes will be named as teacher of the month, and win this car to drive for a month...Learn More