James McGoffin Back Elementary School
7300 Bluebonnet Drive
Rowlett, TX 75089
Year opened: 1985
8:10 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
Amanda Ramos, Principal
Christopher Marshall, Assistant Principal
Ratings & reports
For the most current ratings and reports, reports and performance planning, visit our school profile page on the district website.
The mission of the Back Elementary Counseling Department is to provide a proactive, developmentally appropriate, comprehensive counseling program that addresses student’s academic, personal/social needs, and career goals. This mission will be achieved by providing equity, access and success for every student.
In 2019, Back Elementary received the Postsecondary Readiness Distinction and the Top 25 Percent: Comparative Closing the Gaps Distinction. Back Elementary has maintained a Recognized status through 2012 and was awarded the distinction of Exemplary in 2009. Our school community worked together to achieve these distinctions and status. Thank you all for your exceptional support!
Back Elementary is a small residential school with a family friendly feel and a positive environment for student learning and growing. We provide the rigor in teaching that is so important today with caring, respect and tenderness towards our students.
- Back Elementary provides Pre-K through 5th grade classes from 8:10 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- We offer bilingual classes for Kinder, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th grades.
- We are an AVID school.
- For students learning English as a second language we offer ESL (English as a Second Language).
- Our Special Education Department consists of ABC, inclusion, Resource, and Speech.
- Back Elementary has an iTeam that provides intervention for students who need RtI support.
- Additionally, tutoring is available before or after school and will be arranged by your child's teacher.
- Technology is used daily in classrooms. We have 2 computer labs which hold 60 computers and all grade levels have devices available in the classroom with programs for all grades such as ReadyHub, DimensionU and Khan Academy.
- Each grade participates in 2 field trips a year, fieldtrips are postponed due to COVID.
- Back Elementary participates in UIL (University Interscholastic League) to provide students opportunities to compete with other elementary schools in a variety of topics and subjects.
- School activities and programs are planned regularly for fun and socializing like Field Day, College Week, Red Ribbon Week, Green Eggs and Ham breakfast, 5th Grade Art Club, Black History Month Program, activities and events sponsored by the Back PTA and our beginning of the year Porch Party.
- Back Elementary offers a variety of clubs and organizations to promote leadership, physical fitness, and the arts including the Back Honor Choir, Office Assistants, and the Media Team.
- Safety is a key concern at Back Elementary. Mandatory fire drills, tornado drills and lock down practices are held to ensure all staff and students are familiar with GISD procedures. Additionally, all visitors must check in through the GISD Raptor system to enter school.
- G.I.S.D. Plan w/out Notes & Fund Summary