Meet the counselor
Shonedra Redd, Counselor
Phone: (972) 475-1884
Counseling mission statement
The mission of the Back Elementary Counseling Department is to provide a proactive, developmentally appropriate, comprehensive counseling program that addresses student’s academic, personal/social needs, and career goals. This mission will be achieved by providing equity, access and success for every student. School Counselors believe all students can achieve in a safe learning environment, growing through the efforts of school, home, and community, leading to scholars who are responsible, prepared, 21st century, employable life-long learners. The mission of Back Elementary School is to provide a quality education for all students emphasizing high expectations and strong work habits within a safe environment for learning. Each student will be empowered for a lifetime of learning, responsible citizenship and productive employment in the modern world.
1.The Back Elementary Counseling Department believes ALL students can achieve academically, socially, mentally and emotionally.
2. The Back Elementary Counseling Department addresses the developmental needs of students by providing guidance in the areas of academic and social development. The counselor identifies student needs by collaborating with all stakeholders to identify those needs(needs assessments) and provides programming to address them.
3. As a school counselor, advocacy should be a main priority by speaking up for those who are marginalized and standing in the gap to provide equitable resources and access to ALL.
4. ALL stakeholders should be involved in the planning, management, delivery, and evaluation of program activities.
5. Through needs assessments, feedback, and other forms of data, the counseling program at Back Elementary is developed. The goals of the program are directly aligned to campus needs and goals.
Counseling vision statement
It is the vision of the Back Elementary Counseling Department to empower all students in becoming the very best versions of themselves, academically, behaviorally, socially/emotionally. With the assistance of stakeholders such as: community partners, family members, teachers and staff, every student will develop a sense of pride in self and in their work. We envision students who exhibit personal growth and exemplify social responsibility, while achieving academic excellence and discovering paths towards their future career goals. Our students are on the “Back Road To Success” in which they are prepared to become contributing members in their diverse communities and are equipped to become productive members of society and the global workforce. The vision statement for Back Elementary School is the “The Sky’s the Limit”. The school and counseling department’s visions align because each strives to provide equitable opportunities in which there are no limits or barriers assisting the students in journing into their full potential.
What can my counselor do for me?
Your counselor can help you by:
- giving classroom guidance
- providing study skills and academic information
- providing career and college information
- helping in teacher/student relationships
- helping cope with family issues
- listening to concerns about friends, etc.
- giving you information about life and decision-making skills
- referring you to people or places outside of school for help if necessary
- being your advocate – counselors are here for you!
Bullying and cybersafety
No student should be subjected to bullying or harassment that interferes with their ability to learn or their safety.
Visit the district website for more information and resources related to bullying and cybersafety.
You can use the Anonymous Alerts® webform or mobile app to quickly, easily and anonymously report bullying, cyberbullying and other sensitive topics to school officials.
Anonymous Alerts® is monitored by GISD Security 24-hours daily and should only be used for serious and urgent matters. In the event of an emergency or life-threatening event, always call 911.