The Bussey band program is made up of nearly 200 musicians between 6th, 7th, and 8th grade.
Our Honor and Symphonic Band students auditioned for both the GISD All-District and TMEA Region 3 All-Region Bands in 2022 and eleven students earned a chair in one or both of the bands.
In February our Honor and Symphonic Band students participated in the GISD Solo & Ensemble contest and earned
In March our Honor Band performed at UIL Concert and Sight Reading. The ensemble earned a one, the highest rating possible, from all six judges. We are proud of the accomplishments of this group.
Our Beginner Band students auditioned for the first ever GISD All-Star Band in April and we had seven students earn a chair within the bands. Our Beginner Band students also participated in the Youth Excellence Solo and Ensemble contest (YESE) earning
We are proud of the work our students do in and outside of the classroom and we look forward to continuing our standard of excellence.
Meet our Band Directors
Join our band program
Find all you need to know about picking an instrument and preparing for Fall 2023 on the district website Band Page.
We look forward to having your student in our music programs for the 2023-2024 school year.
Future band students
We believe that the instrument usually chooses the child! The best way to select a child’s primary instrument is to have them go through the process of trying out their top 3-5 choices. Your BMS Band directors are experienced and knowledgeable in helping select instruments based on physical and academic needs, strengths, and weaknesses.
Traditionally, we decide on instrument choices at one of our scheduled Instrument Selection drives. The Instrument Selection drives for the 2024-2025 school year will be held in late April. All instrument fittings will take place in the band hall at Bussey. We can't wait to see you there!
Instrument covers of songs
Curious about what each instrument sounds like? Take a listen to the videos below:
**Disclaimer** If you have already chosen an instrument to play next year, we still need you to go through Steps 1-3 so we can ensure you are enrolled in the correct class.
Sign up for a time slot to meet with a band director for instrument selection.
Find the supply list below that corresponds to your student's chosen instrument, after you have met with us, and make sure you secure the needed instrument/supplies prior to the first day of school.
Secure your instrument and/or supplies before the first day of school. It is important to obtain an instrument from one of our recommended music stores, if at all possible. If you choose to get an instrument elsewhere, please contact us prior to purchasing so we can ensure you are getting a good quality instrument that will last. We can also help you find great, used instruments for very reasonable prices.
Supply list by instrument
We are so excited to have you join the BMS band family! No matter what your musical background is, we have a place for your child in the Bussey Band Program! Although our Beginner Band is typically made up of 6th grade students, we also welcome 7th and 8th grade students to join our program! We will help you decide which instrument best fits your child and we will communicate any schedule changes with our wonderful counselors.
Please feel free to email your directors with any questions you may have.
Garland ISD U.I.L. Sweepstakes winner 2018-2019
Reasons to Join Choir:
- You love to sing
- To learn how to sing
- To improve your singing voice
- Choir parties
- Learn how to read music
- To make new friends
- You get to sing every day!
- It is fun to sing
- Girls love guys who can sing
- Learn to sing on pitch (in tune)-->no more weird looks from family members
No prior experience needed!
Frequently asked questions:
- Do I have to know how to sing or read music?
- Not at all! The purpose of choir is to help you LEARN how to sing and how to read music. These are things we practice and work on every day.
- Does it cost money to be in choir?
- There are some costs, but they are very small and we do fund-raising to pay for most of our activities.
- Are there performances outside of school?
- We have many performances outside of school. We also travel outside of the district (on buses) to festivals and competitions.
- I already sing in the shower, why should I join choir?
- Singing in choir can give you benefits that solo "shower" singing cannot. In choir you will learn how to sing with a healthy tone and learn how to sing in harmony with other voices.
- How do I sign up?
- Mark your choice sheet when you register for classes. We will take it from there! Sign up with a friend and have twice as much fun!
- How often will I go to my elective course?
- Choir will meet everyday, during the day, just like math, science, and history….
- Can I be in choir and sports?
- YES! Choir is a class, and so is athletics. For both classes, passing your core subjects is still required.
Choir director: Karen Hancock
Theatre is alive and thriving here at Bussey Middle School! Theatre 1 is the intro class that all first year students are required to take, but after a successful year there students are able to audition and interview for Technical Theatre and Production.
What students learn:
- Set design and construction
- Costume design and construction
- Stage Management
- Real world life skills
Students who are selected for production are in charge of acting in and producing all of the main stage shows at Bussey Middle School. We have our One Act Festival in the fall, and a children's show in the spring that production students will produce and act in.
What students learn:
- Line memorization skills
- Ensemble building
- Voice and Diction
- Teamwork and responsibility
Theater Director: Erica Porter
Be a Garland ISD VIP
With a special VIP pass, community members can get free general admission to many athletic and Fine Arts events at district facilities.
Visit the Garland ISD VIP pass page for more details.
Clear Bag Policy
To help ensure a safe and respectful environment for guests, Garland ISD has put into effect a Clear Bag Policy for all GISD middle and high school athletic events and fine arts performances.
Learn more on our Clear Bag Policy page.