School spirit & history
Blue and Orange
Our school is named after George Washington Carver who is a hero to all of our students due to his great achievements as a scientist, educator, and humanitarian.
George Washington Carver Elementary is also named in honor of a former Garland ISD campus. The original George Washington Carver School was an elementary school that opened in 1936 and served the African-American children of Garland ISD in grades 1-8 as well as high school students in later years.
The landmark “Brown vs. Board of Education” Supreme Court ruling in 1954 signaled the end of school segregation. Elementary-aged students continued at Carver until 1970 when the school was finally closed. The original George Washington Carver School and its alumni give the new Carver Elementary a legacy of learning from the past for the future.
The faculty, staff, and students look to Dr. Carver and the alumni of the original Carver school as role models for attaining high levels of achievement in academics and life through hard work and dedication.