School spirit & history
The doors were opened to students at Cooper Elementary in 1963. The first principal of Cooper was Mr. Joe Pickle. Over the years the neighborhood has outgrown the small school so in 1979, an addition was built of eight classrooms, a gymnasium and computer labs. In 2005, another addition was built including five new kindergarten classrooms, a PPCD classroom, Science and Learning Labs, new Music and ESL classrooms. During the addition, the Computer labs were remodeled into one double lab and the cafeteria was expanded making more room for students to eat and second line to accommodate the growing student population.
William Boone Cooper
The district named the school after W.B. Cooper, an early pioneer who served as a school board member for 23 years.
He wanted the best for his twelve children and any other child so he helped provide proper schooling facilities while serving as a board member.
The family of Mr. Cooper gave this picture to Cooper Elementary. It is a painting of Mr. Cooper's birthplace, built in 1841 in Sarepta, Mississippi. Both portraits are displayed in the Cooper entryway.
We show our spirit with our school house system. Our houses earn point by showing Cooper Pride and following school expectations. Students are treated to parties by winning challenged presented to their houses. To see more click the link houses to find out more.
Spirit wear on Fridays - The students and staff at Cooper show their school spirit by wearing our
Cooper shirts every Friday. We all love our school!
Cooper's Motto - Where little people do BIG things
Blue and white