School spirit & history

History of Davis Elementary

A.R. Davis Elementary opened its door to students in 1972. Don Blevins was the first principal and remained at Davis until 1979. The school was renovated in 2005, which included additional classrooms and a beautiful new computer lab.

Davis Elementary was named after one of Garland's early residents, Alan Ripley Davis, 1876-1967. We are proud to be named after such a fine man, who contributed to the early years of development for the City of Garland. Other interesting timelines for the City of Garland and the growth of our Garland Independent School District along with great facts can found on the Garland Historic Society Website.

Principals of Davis Elementary

  • Don Blevins: 1972-1979
  • Michael Richey: 1979-1984
  • Paul Dennis: 1984-1985
  • Keith Harrison: 1985-1987
  • Dr. Kay Kuner: 1987-2001
  • Kenda Willingham: 2001-2013
  • Patricia Tatum: 2013- present

Viking tradition

Our third, fourth, and fifth graders have long participated in organized sports such as cheerleading, basketball, and football.  These sports are sponsored by the City of Garland's Parks and Recreation Department.  Students from Davis Elementary, Bullock, Walnut Glen and Beaver Technology Center combine to make up the Vikings' teams and carry on school tradition.  For more information about the PARDS programs and standings you may also contact the Garland Pee Wee Football Association.

School colors

Purple, green and red

School mascot

Dragons