Policies & procedures
Regular attendance is essential for your child to learn at their maximum potential. If your child is absent, please send a note the following day explaining the absence.
The district has implemented a new visitor sign in system for campuses. You must now present your government issued ID (driver’s license, green card, passport,etc) in order to receive a visitor’s badge. All visitors entering Dorsey must sign in at the office (even those familiar faces). After signing in, you will receive a visitor sticker that must be visible at all times while in the building. For our school's safety, our staff has been instructed to stop anyone not identified as an authorized visitor.
All students are encouraged to develop and maintain good dress habits at school and school-oriented activities. Students are expected to dress in a neat, clean manner and to exhibit good taste in the selection of type and style of clothing.
Dorsey students are not required to wear standardized dress (uniforms).
Students should be in their classroom at 8:10 am to avoid a tardy. Students arriving after 8:10 am must be signed in by the parent. Excessive tardies can become an attendance problem. Please plan to arrive on time to start your child's day off right!
For the safety of our Dorsey students, anyone wishing to volunteer and/or attend field trips must fill out a GISD Volunteer Background Check every year. We encourage everyone to fill out the necessary forms, even if you do not anticipate volunteering on a regular basis.
- We offer curb side service in the front parking lot. Our 5th grade Safety Patrol will be there in the mornings to open doors and help your students enter the school.
- Please pull forward to the end of the curb.
- Please use our crosswalks.
- Parents that are parking, must walk their students across the crosswalk.
- Kindergarten students and their siblings will be dismissed from the kindergarten wing.
- Please have your car number visible.
- Staff will escort your student(s) to their car.
Car Riders (1st-5th)
- 1st-5th grade students will be dismissed from the cafeteria - front parking lot.
- Have your car numbers visible in your car windows.
- Students will be called out and waiting curb side for their car.
- Students walking home will be escorted from the building by a teacher and allowed to walk to their destination.
All medication brought to school by a student must be prescribed medication and in a prescription labeled bottle. It must be accompanied with a note from the parents outlining medication directions. All medication will be kept locked in the clinic. It is the responsibility of the students to report to the clinic to take his/her medication. Additional GISD health services information.
Online Student Services request
Do you need to enroll your child, request a transfer, withdraw, or request a transcript? It's easy to start common processes at home. Visit the Online Student Services page to get started.
If you have additional questions, please contact the campus data clerk:
(972) 463-5595 ext. 45139
Campus Improvement Plan
The Campus Improvement Plan serves as the blueprint for how a campus will address performance objectives and other campus needs that have been identified from a Campus Needs Assessment.
The Campus Parent Involvement Policy explains how our campus supports the important role of parents in the education of their children. We offer a Parent Compact to establish a partnership among parents, school staff, and students for improving student academic achievement.
To support our mission of providing an exceptional education to all students, we have created policies designed to help your student have the best possible education experience.
- COVID-19 Guidelines for 2021-22
- Student Code of Conduct & Handbook (PDF)
- Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) (PDF)
- Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)-Spanish (PDF)
- Parent Involvement Policy
Visit the Policies page on the district website for additional polices and related information.