Policies & procedures
GAEC Student Policy/Procedures Handbook (English - Spanish)
Mandatory 10 day parent escort and sign-in
Parents are required to escort and sign-in new students in the DAEP front desk for the first 10 days of placement.
Transportation to GAEC
GISD bus transportation is not available for students attending GAEC unless required by an Individualized Educational Plan (IEP). Students must arrange their own form of transportation. Many students are dropped off by parents or use the Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) system to get to GAEC. Any student driving to school and wanting to park on campus must provide a valid Texas Driver's License and proof of insurance.
Morning arrival procedures
- Dress Code - Follow the proper dress code listed below.
- Shoe Check - Remove shoes. Socks and ankles will be checked.
- Pockets - Remove everything from pockets and turn them inside out.
- Metal Detector - Follow onsite instructions for metal detector security check.
- ID Retrieval - Pick up ID from first period teacher's box.
- Parent Sign In - Parents sign in student in the office for the first 10 days of enrollment at GAEC.
- Waiting Area - Walk to the commons and wait for additional instructions.
Required dress code and ID's
- Shirt - White Uniform Style Polo (long or short sleeve)- Shirt must be long enough to tuck in. Males and females shall wear undergarments that are solid in color. Black, white, or nude color are acceptable. No spaghetti straps, tank tops or muscle shirts are to be worn as an undershirt. Any color undergarments or undershirt designs deemed visible will be considered out of compliance and require a change of clothing. For cold weather, a solid white long sleeve undershirt may be worn under the polo. Arm tattoos are to be covered with a white long sleeve undershirt before entering the building each day.
- Pants - Khaki Uniform Pants with belt loops. No skirts, shorts or cargo pants. Khaki colored jeans are not allowed. Pockets must be on the inside of the uniform style pant and must be able to be pulled out for the security process.
- Belt - Black, white, or brown belt - plain. No studs or large buckles.
- Socks - White or black matching socks.
- Shoes - Solid black, white, brown or gray athletic shoes. A 10% flexibility of color will be allowed. No boots or house shoes (slippers). Closed shoes only. No open toed or exposed heels. White, black, brown or gray matching shoelaces.
- Jewelry and Watches - Small stud earrings are permitted. Watches may be worn. All other jewelry is prohibited.
- No slits in eyebrows.
- All tattoos must be covered with a white long sleeve shirt.
- Identification Card - Students are issued an ID and are required to wear it at all times. A fee applies for replacement cards.
- Electronic Devices of any kind - music players, cell phones, etc. Cellphones must be surrendered during morning lobby procedure or kept at home. Cell phone will be stored at no charge until afternoon dismissal. Cell phones taken up in the classroom will be released after a fine of $15.00, per incident, is paid. After three occurrences, GAEC may keep the phone until the end of the school year.
- Food - Gum, candy, mints, cough drops, breakfast items, snacks, drinks, etc.
- School Supplies - pens, pencils, markers, sharpies, white out, binders, etc. Some exceptions may be made for academic reasons. Please pre-approve all items before bringing them to campus.
- Hygiene and beauty products - brush, pick, lip gloss, make-up, lip balm, nail polish, etc.
- Drug Products - tabacco, lighters, medications, cough drops, etc. Parents may bring prescription drugs in a container with dosage and times.
- Dress Accessories - Hats, backpacks, purses, etc. All jackets and sweaters will be taken up during arrival procedures and placed in the lobby hangers. Students are assigned a hanger number and will need it to retrieve jackets and sweaters upon dismissal at the end of the day. Items are subject to random drug searches. All prohibited items will be thrown away.
Absences and tardies
Students arriving after school starts may be counted tardy or absent depending on arrival time. All absences at GAEC must be made up. Dismissal from AEC is contingent upon days present and served at GAEC. Unexcused absence do not count toward dismissal. Absentees have to be made up. Excessive tardies can also affect release date.
If you have an absence note, please include first and last name, ID#, date of absence and reason for absence. Absence notes must be turned in within three days of absence. Truancy laws apply while placed at GAEC. Wondering if you should keep your child home due to illness? Review the following guidelines for clarification (Should I keep my child home?). Español
Breakfast and lunch
Students are offered breakfast and lunch from the Specialty Menu. Students will be served breakfast in the classroom from 8:00 a.m. to 8:10 a.m. Student breakfast is FREE and student lunch cost is $2.75. Students are not allowed to bring breakfast or lunch from home. Breakfast is only served during the scheduled times.
Safety and security
Our day starts with insuring the safety of all students and staff. Arrival procedures include a drug and weapons screening. Students, vehicles, and belongings are subject to random drug and weapons searches. GISD security visits our campus on a regular basis for random searches and to promote ;a safe GISD environment using metal detectors and trained canines.
Online Student Services requests
Do you need to enroll your child, request a transfer, withdraw or request a transcript? It's easy to start common processes at home. Visit the Online Student Services page to get started.
If you have additional questions, please contact the campus data clerk:
Withdrawing to home campus
Students must serve days assigned to GAEC. Early release due to positive academic behavior will be calculated by administration. Students and parents will receive withdrawal papers and must re-enroll at home campus. Students will be counted absent the following school day if they do not re-enroll at their home campus. Students may be assigned additional time at GAEC for qualifying infractions of the Student Code of Conduct as per GISD policy.
Referral to JJAEP
Students at GAEC may be expelled to JJAEP for a wide range of offenses. These include but are not limited to the following:
- Assault on a staff member another student
- Alcohol or other drug possession
- Serious or persistent misconduct
- Weapon possession
Students may also receive additional placements for certain offenses committed while at GAEC.
GAEC students on other GISD property
Students assigned to GAEC are banned from all GISD functions at any other campus during their time at GAEC. No students may enter a district school or other GISD facility at any time or for any reason. Doing so, may result in trespassing charges being filed and additional disciplinary action being taken against that student. The only exceptionto this rule are GISD College Night/Career Fair and Advanced Placement testing. Students will require approval by administration in all exceptions to the rule.
GAEC Campus Improvement Plan
Students education and safety are one of our main goals here at the GAEC. Below is a link to our campus improvement plan to make known where we are and where we want to go regarding goals in making GAEC the best campus possible. GAEC_Campus_Improvement_Plan_18-19_(PDF)
To support our mission of providing an exceptional education to all students, we have created policies designed to help your student have the best possible education experience.
- COVID-19 Guidelines for 2021-22
- Student Code of Conduct & Handbook (PDF)
- Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) (PDF)
- Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)-Spanish (PDF)
- Parent Involvement Policy
Visit the Policies page on the district website for additional polices and related information.