Applying to the Academy
Students entering grades 9 and 10 can apply to AFA by following the criteria stated below. Students can not apply for AFA after the beginning of the 10th grade.
Students wanting to join the Academy of Fine Arts (AFA) must follow the steps below:
- Complete the GISD Magnet School Application. The Magnet Application can be filled out through the Family Skyward account.
- Garland High School AFA teachers will reach out to you with the instructions for the next step (audition or portfolio) by January 15.
- Students then must perform a live audition for an AFA Audition Committee. See Audition Requirements below.
Students will be notified within 4 weeks of the audition of their acceptance to the Academy.
- Band – Instrumental Music Studies
- Choir - Music Studies
- Film Studies
- Guitar – Instrumental Music Studies
- Orchestra – Instrumental Music Studies
- Piano – Instrumental Music Studies
- Theatre Studies – Performance
- Theatre Studies – Technical
- Visual Arts Studies