FAFSA / TASFA information
Attention students! The key to unlocking financial aid for college or career school is completing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) ASAP after December 31, 2023! This form is crucial for federal, state, and institutional aid eligibility, including grants, loans, and work-study programs.
Even if you think you won't qualify, filing the FAFSA is a must to avoid missing out on potential awards. Don't let uncertainty hold you back!
Visit the GHS Go Center for assistance with FAFSA or TASFA (Texas Application for State Financial Aid).
Federal Student Aid, an office of the U.S. Department of Education, provides over $80 billion annually in financial assistance for college. To receive federal student aid, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). There are three very important things to remember about applying for aid:
- You only have to complete one financial aid application (either the FAFSA or the TASFA to start the process.
- The financial aid office at the college you plan to attend will be in charge of awarding you financial aid.
- Deadlines matter! The earlier you submit your forms, the more likely you are to get a good financial aid package
FAFSA OR TASFA? Depending on your situation you will apply for financial aid one of two ways:
- If you have a Social Security Number, you will fill out the FAFSA
- If you do not have a Social Security Number or have a Social Security Number through DACA, you will fill out the TASFA
- For more information on financial aid, check out GISD Financial Aid page.
Creating a Federal Student Aid Account (FSA ID)
1. Go to the FAFSA "Create an Account" webpage.
2. Enter your personal information, including your legal name, date of birth, Social Security Number, personal email address (Gmail), mailing address, and mobile phone number.
3. Fill out the challenge questions and answers. Take a photo with your phone of each question and answer.
4. Click on "Verify" and enter the validation codes sent to your email to confirm it.
5. Save your information by taking a picture with your phone of your student username, password, challenge questions and answers, and backup code.