Ida Handley Elementary School
3725 Broadway Blvd.
Garland TX 75043-1612
Year opened: 1964
8:10 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
Mrs. Sharonda Brown
Mrs. Christa Hicks
Dean of Students
Mrs. Keri Johnson
Ratings & reports
For the most current ratings and reports, reports and performance planning, visit our school profile page on the district website.
Our mission is to provide effective instruction, establish meaningful relationships, build a warm and welcoming environment, and motivate and support our students while maintaining high expectations.
Handley Elementary at a glance
- Handley Elementary is an educational community that fosters academic and social learning. Handley scholars explore, create and innovate through positive mindsets, a willingness to try and building on their individual talents. Our “Panther Pride” reveals itself in our daily challenges, goal setting and celebrated successes, both small and large, individual and communal.
- Handley Elementary offers Spanish bilingual classes for kindergarten through fifth grades as well as ESL (English as a Second Language) support for students learning English as a second language.
- Our Special Education Department consists of resource and speech.
- Handley Elementary has an intervention team (iTeam) that provides intervention for students who need extra support. We have an interventionist on staff as well as multiple paraprofessional support. Students identified with dyslexia have access to a dyslexia teacher.
- Handley Elementary is an AVID campus. AVID stands for “Advancement Via Individual Determination”. The program gives scholars organizational tools that will allow them to be successful in middle school, high school and college.
- Tutoring is available before and after school.
- Teachers integrate technology into the lessons and scholars have specific programs that they use to advance their skills in math and reading. Our learning community is excited about Imagine Learning, Imagine Learning Math, Imagine Learning Math Facts, I-Station and Dimension U. Each grade level has access to Chromebooks and iPads. Handley Elementary assigns each scholar a device in order to give our school a 1:1 ratio.
- Grade levels participate in field trips to the Dallas Museum of Art, the symphony, the planetarium, the Perot Museum, and other exciting places.
- Our staff plans school activities for learning and fun with parental involvement: Buddy Day, Literacy Night, STEAM Night, choir performances, Red Ribbon Week, and our beginning of the year porch party.
- Handley Elementary offers clubs to promote leadership, problem solving and artistic talent. These clubs include the Handley Choir, the Student Ambassadors and the Robotics team.
Transforming lives today, for a successful tomorrow.
"Panther Pride...It's inside!"
- Provide effective instruction by utilizing best practices and data driven decision-making
- Establish meaningful relationships with families and members of the community
- Build a warm and welcoming environment that promotes a positive socio-emotional climate
- Motivate and support our students while maintaining high expectations