Policies & procedures
School dress code
Parents and students, please be aware of the dress code that is enforced here at Hickman Elementary
- For pants: navy or khaki
- For shirts: white, navy, or red polo style shirts with no logo
- Skirts: navy or khaki and must be finger-tip length
- Sweaters: must be white, navy or red with no design
Spirit Day dress code
Parents, please be sure to have your students follow the dress code for Spirit Days on Thursday and Friday. The following items are allowed:
- Blue jeans with any Hickman Spirit Shirt
- Regular standardized dress clothing
- Khaki and navy shorts
The following items are not allowed to wear on Spirit Day:
- Jeans that are black, gray or any color other than blue denim
- Jeans that have holes, tears or designs
- Jean shorts, skirts or skorts
College T-shirt Thursday
Parents, please be sure to have your students follow the dress code for College T-Shirt Thursday. This following items are allowed:
- Jeans or uniform pants with any college or technical school t-shirt.
- Regular standardized dress clothing
Thank you for adhering to our school dress code. We appreciate your participation in our Spirit Day and College T-Shirt Thursday. Thank you for working together to help our students look their very best!
Arrival and dismissal times
- Grades Pre-K - 5th 8:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Students arriving before 7:50 a.m. will report to the gym, or the cafeteria. Breakfast will be served in the classroom beginning at 7:50 a.m. Supervision in the gym and cafeteria begins at 7:30 a.m.; This is a study hall atmosphere and students are expected to bring a book to read.
- School is dismissed at 3:30 p.m. After school care is not available, so for the safety of your child ensure that they are picked up on time.
- Please make sure that your child knows how they will be getting home each day. Classes may not be interrupted to deliver messages. If dismissal plans change during the school day, please contact the office immediately.; You will be required to give your child’s student ID number for them to receive your message. This is a GISD mandated policy.
- Please make sure your child understands that he/she will not be allowed to use the phone to ask to go home with a friend. These arrangements need to be made prior to arriving at school.
- Parents will be notified of times and dates of morning or afternoon tutorials as needed.
- Students who arrive late must report to the office.
- Any late arrival occurring between 8:21 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. regardless of how late the student is, must be considered a partial days absence and reported to the state required by state law.
- Any student dismissal before 3:10 p.m. will also be considered a partial day absence.
- Please contact the office on any day your child is absent from school.
- Homework may be requested beginning the second day of an absence.
- Please request homework by 10:00 a.m. It may be picked between 2:30-3:00 p.m. in the office.
- A note to the attendance is required upon the student’s return to school.
- Reasons for excused absences:
- Illness (student or family) A note from the doctor is needed when the appointment is during the school day.
- Death in family.
- Family emergency.
- Certain religious holidays.
Online Student Services requests
Do you need to enroll your child, request a transfer, withdraw or request a transcript? It's easy to start common processes at home. Visit the Online Student Services page to get started.
If you have additional questions, please contact the campus data clerk:
972-675-3150 (ext) 43251
Parent Compact 2022-23
The Campus Parent Involvement Policy explains how our campus supports the important role of parents in the education of their children. We offer a Parent Compact to establish a partnership among parents, school staff, and students for improving student academic achievement.
To support our mission of providing an exceptional education to all students, we have created policies designed to help your student have the best possible education experience.
- Student Code of Conduct & Handbook (PDF)
- Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) (PDF)
- Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)-Spanish (PDF)
- Parent Involvement
Visit the Policies page on the district website for additional polices and related information.