We encourage parents to get involved by volunteering. Contact our Campus Engagement Coordinator, Sonya Palmer, for more information.
Eagle Volunteer of the Month
We have so many amazing volunteers that help make our school successful. While we appreciate each and everyone of our dedicated volunteers, we would like to recognize one volunteer each month who goes above and beyond.
This month, we would like to recognize Mrs. Lawrence for all of her hard work. Mrs. Lawrence heads up our "Walk-up Wednesday" volunteer program, as well as helps out weekly with the sight word program.
Partner with Hillside
The Garland Independent School District encourages parents, guardians, and patrons of our district to become an active part of the success in our schools by sharing your time and talent as a volunteer. Visit the district's Volunteer web page for more information about opportunities to volunteer.
- All parents and community members who would like to volunteer must provide a photo ID to the front office to sign in using the Raptor Visitor Management System and indicate their desire to volunteer.
- The office staff will provide instructions to complete an online application. Applications can be completed at home or in the main office of any campus.
- A criminal history check will be completed by the District.An email will be sent to notify you when you may begin volunteering.
- A Campus Engagement Coordinator will contact approved volunteers about opportunities.
WHAT IS WATCH D.O.G.S.?
WATCH D.O.G.S. ® (Dads of Great Students) is an innovative program of the National Center for Fathering which Hillside Academy has enthusiastically adopted. This program focuses on safety and education by using the positive influence of fathers and father figures for a two-fold purpose. 1) Provide a positive and active male role-model for students during their school day, and 2) Provide an extra set of eyes and ears to enhance school security.
These men will:
- Always wear Official Uniform T-shirts while they are on official WatchDOG duty.
- ENCOURAGE STUDENTS! (with lots of smiles and high fives, etc.)
- Help with traffic flow of vehicles and students at arrival and dismissal times
- Monitor hallways and entrances
- Monitor buildings - inside/outside
- Assist at lunch
- Assist at recess, study hall, social times
- Eat lunch with students
- Play or referee on the playground or in the gym
- Read with classes or tutor small groups of students
- Work with flash cards and/or educational games
- Actively and positively engage with their student and others
- Speak to classes about importance of education and career choices
- Be available to mentor male students
- Be chaperones on field trips and away games/activities
- Assist coaches and activity sponsors
- Help students with test review
- Support fine arts classes (i.e. band, choir, art, yearbook, etc.) with your presence and/or experience
- Smile and be a hero for a day!
Anyone who would like to volunteer must:
- provide a photo ID to the front office
- complete an online application and upload a copy of your photo ID
The online application can be completed at home or the main office of any campus.
What happens next?
- A background check will be performed using the Raptor Volunteer Management System.
- You will receive an email to notify you when you may begin volunteering.
Contact the Campus Engagement Coordinator for more information and specific volunteer opportunities.