We encourage parents to get involved by volunteering. Contact our Campus Engagement Coordinator, Sonya Palmer, for more information.
Eagle Volunteer of the Month
We have so many amazing volunteers that help make our school successful. We appreciate each and everyone of our dedicated volunteers. Thank you for your dedication and willingness to make a difference!
Partner with Hillside stay tuned for updates
The Garland Independent School District encourages parents, guardians, and patrons of our district to become an active part of the success in our schools by sharing your time and talent as a volunteer. Visit the district's Volunteer web page for more information about opportunities to volunteer.
- We are looking forward to reopening our campus when directed by Garland ISD that we may do so in a safe and healthy way.
WHAT IS WATCH D.O.G.S.?
WATCH D.O.G.S. ® (Dads of Great Students) is an innovative program of the National Center for Fathering which Hillside Academy has enthusiastically adopted. This program focuses on safety and education by using the positive influence of fathers and father figures for a two-fold purpose. 1) Provide a positive and active male role-model for students during their school day, and 2) Provide an extra set of eyes and ears to enhance school security.
These men will:
- Always wear Official Uniform T-shirts while they are on official WatchDOG duty.
- ENCOURAGE STUDENTS! (with lots of smiles and high fives, etc.)
- Help with traffic flow of vehicles and students at arrival and dismissal times
- Monitor hallways and entrances
- Monitor buildings - inside/outside
- Assist at lunch
- Assist at recess, study hall, social times
- Eat lunch with students
- Play or referee on the playground or in the gym
- Read with classes or tutor small groups of students
- Work with flash cards and/or educational games
- Actively and positively engage with their student and others
- Speak to classes about importance of education and career choices
- Be available to mentor male students
- Be chaperones on field trips and away games/activities
- Assist coaches and activity sponsors
- Help students with test review
- Support fine arts classes (i.e. band, choir, art, yearbook, etc.) with your presence and/or experience
- Smile and be a hero for a day!
Anyone who would like to volunteer must:
- provide a photo ID to the front office
- complete an online application and upload a copy of your photo ID
The online application can be completed at home or the main office of any campus.
What happens next?
- A background check will be performed using the Raptor Volunteer Management System.
- You will receive an email to notify you when you may begin volunteering.
Contact the Campus Engagement Coordinator for more information and specific volunteer opportunities.