Jackson Technology Center for Math and Science
Year opened: 1966
8:50 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.
Ratings & reports
For the most current ratings and reports, reports and performance planning, visit our school profile page on the district website.
“When students leave us, we desire them to have had a life-changing, unforgettable, social-emotional and academic experience that will produce citizens who will embody strength, knowledge, friendship, giving to society, and dreaming big!”
Jackson Technology Center is committed to an engaging 21st century education that empowers students to be problem solvers and globally competitive leaders
In a way that:
- Fosters an environment in which every student can achieve his or her potential,
- Recognizes and respects the cultural diversity of the student population,
- Encourages parental and community involvement,
- Provides an atmosphere that is safe and conducive to learning, so that every student will be prepared to succeed at the next level of learning.
Who Are We?
For years, the rule in school has always been to “do your own work” with classroom subjects treated as individual topics. In the professional workplace, traditional practices have evolved to incorporate more teamwork and utilize a variety of information to reach common goals. The math, science, and technology magnet program in Garland ISD was designed with these developing methods in mind.
For 6th-8th grade students enrolled in the MST program, courses use honors level curriculum enriched through extensive technology use. 21st century skills and strategies are implemented and there are many opportunities for students to work in cooperative groups for “real world”, hands-on problem-solving. Problem-based learning is emphasized through projects that interest students and have relevance for them. In the school technology lab, students discover the excitement and promise of technology as it relates to everyday work and leisure.
The MST classes utilize various technology including Chrome books, blogs, flipped learning, Apple MacBooks, IPad, Smart board technology, TI-Inspire, flip video. Numerous educational apps are employed in MST and other courses. All teachers utilize google classroom.
How Do We Invite Students?
To be invited to the MST Program at Jackson, students must:
• Score at the 75th percentile or above in both reading and math on MAPS (Measures of Academic Progress)
• Pass all sections of STAAR
• Have math and science grades of 80 or above on end of year report card
• Have no serious discipline problems