Preparing for the Ceremony
Ordering Cap and Gown
Collegiate students will order their cap and gown set through the dallasbalfour.com website along with their Class of 2021 classmates. Mrs. Dry will provide a list of eligible collegiate grads to Balfour, and Balfour will ship the black cap and gown set to those students. If, by chance, the wrong color is shipped it will be exchanged.
Collegiate students will receive the LCHS Class of 2021 white stole with their order. The school owns the collegiate stole that will also be worn for the LCHS ceremony (NOT the Eastfield ceremony). Students will receive their collegiate loaner stole at some date prior to graduation, and will return the collegiate stole at the ceremony. In the past, Balfour has made the collegiate stole available for purchase to collegiate families so that students would have a keepsake. Those stoles are not available online, and you would need to contact Balfour directly (972-495-2440) to arrange that purchase separate from the cap and gown set. If a collegiate stole is purchased, the LOANER will need to be worn at graduation as we will collect ALL collegiate stoles prior to a student exiting the arena area. There will not be time to distinguish between personal property and school property, so the assumption will be that all collegiate stoles are school property.
A graduation cap and gown can be purchased through Balfour. Visit www.dallasbalfour.com to place your order today! Order before March 1st to take advantage of group discount pricing.
1111 N. Belt Line, Suite 102
Garland, TX 75040
972-495-2440 FAX: 972-530-2502
Senior Graduation Contract
This form must be completed and returned to Mrs. Turner no later than April 1, 2021 in order to participate in the graduation ceremony. Please download a copy of the 2020-2021 Graduation Contract to turn in. A signed copy of this document should be returned to Mrs. Turner in the Main Office or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Statement of behavior regulations and expectations for the Class of 2021
GISD Commencement dates are June 8-10; specific campus dates, times, and location have not yet been announced. This will be a ceremony to honor you, the student, for completing all of the graduation requirements established by the Garland Independent School District. Participation in the ceremony is contingent upon your successful completion of the required credits, the passing of required End of Course tests, the completion of any Loss of Credit requirements, and adherence to school regulations for behavior and attendance. Please make every effort to ensure that you are making satisfactory progress towards your graduation requirements.
BACKGROUND: “Unlike receipt of a diploma, participation in the graduation ceremony is a privilege, not a right” (Swany v San Ramon Valley Unified Sch Dist. 720 F Supp 764 (ND Cal, 1989). Although the ceremony is an important event, participation or non-participation does not alter the significance or value of the diploma (Lisa Swann, M.A.T/,. J.D.).
A great deal of effort has gone into preparing for the graduation ceremony. This should be a very special occasion for you as a member of the Class of 2021, and also for all of us at LCHS. You are following a standard established by Lakeview Centennial High School’s first graduating class in 1978 – one of seriousness, dignity, and pride. To help us continue that tradition and to make the ceremony the meaningful event that parents, faculty, and the graduating class desire, the following must be agreed upon by each senior and his or her parent or guardian. Please initial each section to indicate that you have read, understand, and agree to comply with the guidelines specified. Failure to comply with these guidelines may mean inability to participate in, or removal from, the graduation ceremony.
By signing and submitting this contract you agree to the following:
- I will attend all practices scheduled for the graduation ceremony. I agree to adjust my work schedule and any other obligations to meet the practice schedule. In case of illness, I will contact one of the school administrators prior to the practice.
- I agree to purchase and wear the cap and gown selected for the ceremony and not alter or decorate them in any manner. I further agree to conform to the following dress code described below for the graduation ceremony.
- Males should wear white dress shirts, ties, black slacks (no jeans), black socks and black shoes (no tennis shoes).
- Females are expected to wear nice dresses of an appropriate length or black dress slacks with a white collared dress shirt. Medium to flat heels are suggested because of the amount of walking and standing that will be required. You may wear dressy sandals but no flip-flops.
- Hairstyles for males and females should also conform to the GISD dress code. All hair must be a natural color no later than May 21, 2021.
- No facial piercing jewelry, per GISD dress code.
- I will not carry anything into the graduation venue that will disrupt the ceremony. I agree to be courteous during the entire ceremony and refrain from any activity that is disrupting, distracting or dangerous. I further agree to leave the ceremony when asked to do so if I fail to adhere to these guidelines. I understand that if I violate this I will not be allowed to receive my diploma and will be required to schedule a student/parent conference with an LC administrator.
- Cell phones will be turned COMPLETELY off and out of sight the ENTIRE time the class is in the arena area. If a phone is discovered “out,” it will be confiscated. I will not be allowed to receive my diploma, and will be required to schedule a student/parent conference with an LC administrator.
- I agree to pay all debts, which I owe to Lakeview Centennial High School and turn in all materials as required prior to participating in graduation practice.
- I agree to follow all rules at any school activity, i.e. prom, senior activities, athletic or co-curricular activities or graduation practice throughout the school year, and understand that not doing so will jeopardize my participation in the graduation ceremony. Senior activities are considered regular scheduled school days.
- I agree that my attendance in all classes shall conform to school and district policy. I also understand that any truancies or excessive absences may jeopardize my participation in graduation ceremonies.
- Transportation to the ceremony will be venue/location dependent, and may or may not be available. I agree to verify this detail once the district has announced final plans.
- I understand that if I violate school rules that necessitate suspension from school or placement in the District Alternative Education Program at any time during the school year, I am subject to removal from any or all senior activities, including the graduation ceremony.
- I understand that participation in the graduation ceremony is not required to receive my high school diploma. However, should I not attend the graduation ceremony as a result of any violation(s) of this agreement, I understand that a student/parent conference with an LC administrator will be required prior to receiving my diploma.