2023 Graduation Information
Date: Saturday, May 27, 2023
Time: 8:00 a.m.
Location: Curtis Culwell Center
We invite you to join us for our graduation ceremony recognizing the efforts of our Class of 2023 NFHS Graduates.
Campuses will communicate arrival time and other process details with students. Everyone is expected to follow the CCC regulations.
Congratulations to the Class of 2023!
Due to COVID-19 and social distancing guidelines, there will be changes to this year's ceremony. Visit garlandisd.net/graduation for details.
Preparing for the ceremony
Graduate dress code
Appropriate dress is required. Come dressed for the ceremony. No changing facilities will be available. CDC- approved face masks are needed to attend. Attendees must follow the clear bag policy.
- Graduates must be in their caps and gowns with any regalia prior to the ceremony
- Students may not decorate their graduation caps
- No shorts
Caps and gowns
Garland ISD seniors can order graduation caps and gowns at www.dallasbalfour.com. Parents and students will be notified by Balfour when the delivery details are scheduled.
All cap and gown purchases go through Balfour and are not part of GISD. Questions about cap and gown orders need to be directed to Balfour.
Tickets are required for admission. Graduates will receive ten general admission tickets for the family. Everyone, including infants, must have a ticket to enter.
No tickets will be distributed at the event. Graduates will distribute tickets to all guests prior to their arrival at the ceremony. See your campus website for ticket pickup information.
Note: Once you have entered the building, you may not leave and re-enter.
Procedures and Rules
Types of allowed bags
While the CCC encourages guests not to bring bags if possible, the following are permissible:
- Clear tote - plastic, vinyl or PVC bags that do not exceed 12" x 6" x 12"
- Plastic storage bag - Clear one (1) gallon, re-sealable
- Small clutch size - approximately the size of a hand with or without a handle or strap. No larger than 6.5" and 4.5" with or without a handle or strap
Medically necessary items
Visit the CCC's Clear Bag Policy page for more details.
Do not bring items such as:
- Food or Beverages (including bottled water and/or snacks)
- Bags or purses larger than 4.5x6 inches
- Weapons of any kind (including pocket knives, following penal codes 30.06 and 30.07)
- Tobacco, alcohol, or fireworks
- Monopods, tripods and selfie sticks
- Flowers purchased outside of the Curtis Culwell Center
- Gift bags, wrapped gifts, balloons, beach balls, Frisbees, bubbles, silly string, streamers or laser pens
- Pets/non-service animals
- Posters, signs, banners, placards, or mortarboards
- Bullhorns, air horns, or any artificial noisemakers
- Glitter, confetti, rice or birdseed
- Umbrellas or coolers
Attending the Ceremony
- Guests and graduates will be allowed to enter one hour before the start of the ceremony. Tickets will be checked upon arrival. Before entering, graduates and guests will be screened by a metal detector. Guests must follow the clear bag policy .
- Graduates will disembark off the buses, enter the venue through the conference center, and go straight to their seats.
- Graduates should be dressed in non-decorated caps and gowns with any regalia prior to the ceremony.
- School staff will direct graduates to their seats.
- Families will enter through the east and west entrances. Please note that the arena floor is reserved for graduates and approved faculty only.
During the Ceremony
Graduation is to be a respectful event. Family and friends should listen quietly to all student and faculty speeches and refrain from shouting as names are called. Please be respectful of all graduates and their families. Every family wants to hear the name of their graduate as he or she walks across the stage.
- Graduates will have assigned seating and will be honored in rank order as well as alphabetically.
- There will not be any handshaking due to social distancing.
- Photos will be taken with diploma covers as students return to their seats after walking across the stage.
After the Ceremony
Due to the tightness of the graduation schedule, please depart the facility promptly and in an orderly fashion after the ceremony. You will be able to meet your graduate outside of the Curtis Culwell Center after the ceremony. No gathering is allowed inside the building; please meet your party at your vehicle.
Parking for families will be available at the Curtis Culwell Center. Graduation ceremonies for GISD schools will not charge for parking.
Students will be bused from their campuses.
Every graduate will be photographed at the ceremony. If you have not received proofs within 2 weeks of the ceremony, please contact Flash Photography directly at 888-325-3930 or at www.FLASHphotography.com.
Personal photos must be taken from your seat in the audience. No monopods or tripods allowed.
Graduation DVDs will be sold on the North Concourse for $30 ($25 + $5 S&H). Curtis Culwell Center accepts credit cards only. DVDs will be available online at the Curtis Culwell Center website as well.