Petition for credit: 90% attendance rule policy
Information for students, parents, and guardians:
The State of Texas requires that each student be present in their classes at least 90% of the days that classes are held each semester in order to earn credit.
Please be aware that for any class you are passing and have more than 5 absences in the fall semester, or more than 5 absences in the spring semester, by law, credit must be denied due to excessive absences.
North Garland High School offers a program called Petition for Credit as an opportunity for students to avoid losing course credit due to excessive absences.
Here is how Petition for Credit works:
If you have more than 5 absences in a class (1st Semester), or if you have more than 5 absences in a class (2nd Semester) you must:
- Begin with the Petition for Credit Form, which may be accessed electronically at this link.
Documented tutorial time is used in your Petition for Credit. Please use this link to document your tutorials: https://qrgo.page.link/KbrLL
(Note: you must be logged into your district Google account and document your tutorials on the same day that one is attended. The "NGHS Electronic Tutorial Log" link is available on each of your Canvas course home pages.)
- Submit your Petition for Credit Form electronically by the Fall Semester due date (December 1, 2022).
- Look at the Petition for Credit Flow Chart to see if there are any other items you should turn in with your Petition for Credit Form.
- Download and use the Tutorial Hours Calculator Excel spreadsheet for Semester 1 or the Tutorial Hours Calculator Excel spreadsheet for Semester 2 to help calculate exactly how many tutorials hours you owe.
- If you do not know when your teacher has tutorials, check here.
- Your tutorial time will be documented online. You must use this link on the day(s) the tutorials occur: https://qrgo.page.link/KbrLL (Note: Teachers have a link for this form in your Canvas course home page.)
- During the 2022-2023 school year, for every absence day over the limit you have, you must attend 10 minutes of tutorial time.**
- For example, if you have 1 day of absence over the limit in a particular class, you must attend 10 minutes of tutorial time in that class in order to make up one absence and move yourself under the absence limit.
- For example, if you have 2 days of absence over the limit in a particular class, you must attend 20 minutes of tutorials in that class in order to make up those absences.
- For example, if you have 3 days of absence over the limit, you will require 30 minutes of make-up tutorial time.
- Don't wait until the last minute - this process takes time to complete!
- The last thing you will need is a recommendation from your teacher that you have met the TEKS for the class, if you are passing.
**Ms. Bollman will ask the teacher to do this at the end of the semester for any student who has too many absences but has passed the course. **
- Remember - your completed Petition for Credit Form must be completed electronically.
- Petition for Credit Forms due date: Fall (December 1), Spring (May 5).
- Tutorial Hours Completion due date: Fall (December 1), Spring (May 5).
Note: Students who have accumulated more than the limit of absences allowed cannot be awarded credit without the Petition for Credit process being successfully completed.
If any passing student in a class has exceeded the allowable limit for absences, and the student does not complete the Petition for Credit process, credit will not be awarded (absence failure (AF) will be recorded on the report card).
Students are encouraged to use the Petition for Credit opportunity provided by North Garland High School in order to retain credit for their classes in the event of excessive absences. For more information, please contact the North Garland RtI Facilitator, Ms. Bollman.