Get to Know Your Counselor
Counselor: Shannon Dozier (Students' last names beginning A-K)
Counselor: Keith Baker (Students' last names beginning L-Z)
LIGHT Counselor: Julie Coleman
Your counselor is someone who you will want to get to know because she can assist you as you progress through middle school. Make an appointment to see your counselor.
In addition to the academic rigor of our classrooms and the variety of resources like those listed below, campus staff and district departments provide activities and events that spark imaginations and provide assistance -- College Day, career days, workshops, and more.
What Can My Counselor Do For Me?
Counselors will help you by:
- reviewing your choice of subjects each spring during registration (February - April)
- helping solve academic scheduling problems
- providing study skills and academic information
- providing career and college information
- helping in teacher/student relationships
- helping cope with family issues
- listening to concerns about friends, etc.
- giving you information about life and decision-making skills
- referring you to people or places outside of school for help if necessary
- being your advocate – counselors are here for you!
Counselors for each campus are certified by the state of Texas in School Counseling, have a Master’s Degree, and previous teaching experience. Each middle school has two guidance counselors to help ensure that adequate support for helping students to succeed and meet their goals is available.
In addition, each middle school campus has a student services specialist - LIGHT counselor. Campus LIGHT counselors have had additional training in specialty areas to help students maintain and choose a healthy lifestyle. They provide counseling, support groups, presentations, prevention activities, classroom guidance, and crisis intervention for students.