2020 Summer Graduation Postponed
High school graduation is a major milestone, as well as a culmination to several years of hard work and perseverance. Garland ISD understands the importance of this event and wants to celebrate the Class of 2020. The safety and security of all students and staff is also our top priority. Under current orders, the district cannot host in-person activities until after September 7, 2020. This means our Summer Graduation Ceremony currently scheduled for August 6 must be postponed.
Summer graduates will receive further information in the upcoming weeks. We will also be asking for feedback regarding alternate plans to commemorate this momentous achievement. If graduates need documentation of meeting all graduation requirements, they can contact their campus. We appreciate your understanding and support. GISD’s Class of 2020 is exceptional and unstoppable.
Preparing for the ceremony
Graduate dress code
- No shorts
- Ties not required for men
- Flat bottom shoes ONLY (no flip flops and no high heels)
- All graduates and guests, including infants, must have a ticket. Anyone without a ticket will NOT be admitted. No tickets will be distributed at Globe Life Field.
Arrival and procedures
- One hour before start of ceremony
- Parking lots are named by letters and models of Toyota automobiles. All students and parents will park in lot R (Tacoma). See parking map.
- Graduates will enter the stadium through lot A (Supra) with their student admission ticket. Graduates need to be dressed in non-decorated caps and gowns with any regalia prior to entering.
- Graduates with ADA-specific needs should notify Globe Life Field staff upon arrival for elevator usage.
- Graduates will have assigned seats in the lower concourse, sections 1–26.
- Families will enter the stadium through the Toyota Southwest gate across from lot R (Tacoma) with assigned-seat tickets.
- One sealed water bottle per person will be allowed. No concessions will be available.
- No bags (other than diaper bags and medical bags) will be allowed. Also, no flowers, balloons or signs will be allowed.
- Be prepared for a health screening and metal detector check prior to admission. For more information, please visit garlandisd.net/graduation.
- Masks are highly encouraged. Check out mask challenge information at garlandisd.net/graduation.
- There will be no ceremony practice. It is imperative that graduates view the ceremony procedures on the campus website.
- Graduates should check the campus website daily leading up to graduation for updates and details about the ceremony.
- Photos will be taken with diploma covers as students return to their seats after walking across home plate.
- Dismissal will be by section and announced over the intercom.
- All graduates and families will be instructed to leave immediately and meet at their cars.
- All gates will be opened to alleviate crowding near exits.
- NO gathering is allowed inside the park; please meet your party at your vehicle.