Prekindergarten at Roach for 2023-2024 school year
Routh Roach Elementary is excited to announce that a Pre-K class will be added to our school for the 2023-24 school year!
About the GISD Pre-Kindergarten program:
Pre-K classes are taught by certified teachers who are trained in early childhood education and development. They have the knowledge and skills needed to teach children at this very important age.
Children will learn:
* to recognize colors, shapes, letters, and numbers.
* critical social skills, such as how to pay attention in class and interacting with other children.
* listening and speaking skills.
* early reading skills, such as how to hold a book, turn the pages, and look at pictures.
* basic math skills, such as counting and measuring.
Children will also develop science, social studies, fine arts, and physical development skills for a balanced education. The curriculum taught is research-based and follows a state-mandated curriculum.
What are the eligibility requirements?
Priority placement into Pre-K classes is available for students who meet eligibility requirements and will be four years old on or before September 1.
In addition to age, at least one of the following must apply to the child:
*does not speak or understand English (Limited English Proficient).
* is considered educationally disadvantaged based on family income.
* is homeless.
* has a parent who is active duty military, guard or reserve or who was injured or killed while on active duty.
* is currently or was previously under the care of DFPS (Department of Family and Protective Services).
* has a parent or official guardian who is eligible for the Star of Texas Award.
What do I need to enroll?
The enrollment process is the same as the K-12 enrollment process. However, additional documentation is needed to establish eligibility for priority placement in Pre-K:
* Student's birth certificate or passport, residency card, etc.
* Government-issued parent/guardian identification
* Proof of income (current pay stub, food stamp letter, etc.)
* Proof of residency (current electricity, water, or gas bill or current apartment lease in parent/guardian name)
* Child’s current immunization record
* Residency affidavit (if applicable)
* Military documents (if applicable)
* Foster care documents (if applicable)
* Star of Texas Award certificate (if applicable)
Please share this information with families in your community so they can take advantage of this wonderful new opportunity at Routh Roach Elementary! Ready to ENROLL? Please enroll in SKYWARD.
If you need additional information about pre-kindergarten offered by Garland Independent District, please visit the GISD Pre-kindergarten Informational Website.