AVID and AVID Excel
Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) is a school wide college readiness program that is first and foremost a college readiness course. Students are nominated or selected because they show potential to not only enroll and succeed in rigorous courses, but to be on track to attend any college. AVID is designed to impact the leadership, systems, instruction and culture of a school to support high expectations and levels of achievement for all students. AVID impacts students throughout the school when trained teachers use AVID strategies to influence the academic and behavioral skills of their students in all content classes. Although AVID is an elective course for selected students, ALL students will benefit because the methodologies, strategies, and expectations are school wide and impact the learning environment and culture of an entire campus.
Learn more about AVID.
Global Business, Language & Leadership Magnet
In this program there is a focus on building leaders and leadership skills. Students will participate in a a leadership class in 8th grade and will have built a strong foundation on community, state, country, and global leadership by the time they leave Sellers.
The Global Business, Language & Leadership program expands students' understanding of global business while also learning the Mandarin language. Students leave the 8th grade with a strong academic foundation that supports their transition to high school.
The GBL program offers:
- An understanding of business, marketing, and/or finance within a global context
- A more attractive academic resume when applying to colleges
- Business preparation courses for high school, college and career
- Encouragement for students to be bilingual or multilingual
- Students the opportunity to develop information technology skills to prepare for completing the Microsoft Office Specialist Certifications in high school
- Leadership development through community service, portfolios, global business organizations, and business competitions
- Challenge Based Learning activities that connect the class learning to real world applications
The middle school program offers:
- Magnet cohort classes with real world collaborative learning and leadership development
- Mandarin Chinese classes
- Business Professionals of America Career & Technical Student Organization
Please watch these videos for more information:
Visit our Global Business, Language & Leadership Magnet page for additional information, qualifications, and application process.