Policies & procedures
SGHS student expectations
- Students will arrive on time to every class every day.
- Students will comply with GISD dress code (includes wearing ID badges at all times and no earbuds/headphones during instructional time).
- Students will engage and take ownership of their own learning.
- Students will meet all behavior expectations in every class.
- Students will respect all students and staff.
- Students will represent South Garland High School with pride and integrity at all times.
Students are expected to be in class on time. The following procedures are in place to minimize classroom disruption and ensure student success.
- Students are tardy if they are not in their seats, with all appropriate materials, when the bell rings at 7:30 a.m.
- When a student misses up to the first 20 minutes of any class it will be recorded as a tardy. After 20 minutes, he/she will be considered truant or absent.
- Excused Tardy - Students will be marked with an excused tardy if: they have a pass signed by the attendance secretary, which excused the tardy.
Unexcused Tardy - Students who exhibit a habitual pattern of unexcused tardiness will face disciplinary action.
- This disciplinary action may include counseling, detention, parent conferences, Saturday School, and/or exclusion from participation in extracurricular activities.
- Students with 5 or more tardies in a week period will be eligible for detention, Saturday School, and will be ineligible for extra-curricular activities, such as dances.
If a student earns an absence, the parent/guardian will need to verify the absence within 72 hours of the absence.
- This can be done by: accompanying the student to the Attendance Office, a written note signed by the parent/guardian or by calling the Attendance Office.
ID Badge expectations
All Garland ISD secondary students will be required to wear photo ID badges. These badges will help us with student safety and security. Visible photo identification will help our campus assure that everyone in the building both students and staff, is supposed to be on our campus. In addition, the ID badges can be used in the cafeteria, library, with technology, and more. The badges were created during the back-to-school extravaganza and we continue to make them daily. These badges will be worn so that they are visible, preferably on a lanyard. There is no cost to students for the original ID badge, but should a student lose or damage his/her badge, there will be a replacement fee. If a student fails to wear their ID badge, there will be a loss of privileges.
- Replacement fees are $5 per ID badge.
- GISD policy can be found on the Safety Precaution page of the district site.
Student Parking (student drivers and parking)
- All students who request a Parking Permit to use our parking lot, must show a valid driver's license and a proof of vehicle insurance in order to be granted a permit.
- You are expected to park in the student parking lot only.
- Immediately leave the parking lot after parking the car.
- Do not park on grass, staff or visiting parking areas.
- Drive slowly, (15 mph) while on school property.
- Do not smoke or loiter, etc. in or out of cars on school property.
- Arrive at school on time.
- Continued tardiness or parking/driving violations may result in loss of driving privileges. Cars may be towed for violation of school procedures.
- Cars in the school parking lot are suspect to search upon cause.
- $15 - Parking Permit (annual fee)
- $15 - Replacement Permit
Important information for 2022 -23 school year
Online student services requests
Do you need to enroll your child, request a transfer, withdraw or request a transcript? It's easy to start these common processes at home. Visit Online Student Services page to get started. If you have any questions please contact our data clerk.
Campus Improvement Plan
A Campus Improvement Plan serves as the blueprint for how a campus will address performance objectives and other campus needs that have been identified from a Campus Needs Assessment.
- Campus Improvement Plan
The Campus Parent Involvement Policy explains how our campus supports the important role of parents in the education of their children. We offer a Parent Compact to establish a partnership among parents, school staff, and students for improving student academic achievement.