Signature Programs are programs unique to South. They are housed at South Garland high school in state of the art facilities. We are very proud of these programs that provide students with amazing career opportunities upon graduation.
- Early College (ECHS) & P-TECH
- Auto Body Collision Repair
- Auto Technology
- Dallas County Promise
The South Garland ECHS and P-TECH are made up of a partnership between South Garland High School and Eastfield College. These program offer students the opportunity to graduate with up to 60 college credits or an Associate's Degree for free.
2020 Magnet Campus Video
Webinar segments in English
- Similarities between ECHS & P-Tech English
- Differences between ECHS & P-Tech English
- Dallas County Promise English
- How to apply for these programs English
Webinar segments in Spanish
- Similarities between ECHS & P-Tech Spanish
- Differences between ECHS & P-Tech Spanish
- Dallas County Promise Spanish
The best evidence of a great program comes from students themselves. Go to student testimonials to hear what our ECHS and P-Tech students are saying.
Parent questions & answers
Parents can submit questions to the campus staff for a live response during Garland ISD Virtual School Fair using this Question form.
South Garland High School one pager
Instructor: Jon Greuel
South Garland is proud to be the home of the GISD Welding Program. The program is located within a state of the art facility, housing twenty stations each equipped with commercial grade machines from Lincoln and Miller. The long journey from welding student to professional is guided through a partnership with the Eastfield College Welding Department, developing curriculum that pursues essential knowledge and skills required by industry. Students work hard to gain highly marketable skills, opening doors to gainful employment within a lucrative and high demand field.
We learn to liquefy metal with a blinding arc, creating a better world.
Instructors: Claudia Escobar & Cindy Najera
SGHS has earned a long standing reputation of excellence for our Cosmetology program. We are proud of the many young men and women who graduate with their license as a trained professional. Our students start out as juniors in high school and graduate with their license their senior year. At our salon, Southern Charm Salon and Spa, we strive to offer the best student stylists in the Metroplex.
Fees for cosmetology
There are fees required to participate in cosmetology. Those fees must be taken care of before the first day of school. Partial payments are not accepted. Students should hold money until it can all be turned in together. Payments can be made now until the end of the school year. There will not be anyone in the building who can take money during the summer break. Plan accordingly. Please contact Mrs. Najera for more information.
- $25 fee for Cosmetology Permit must be CREDIT CARD!
- $542 Kit fee Money order made out to South Garland High School and with student name and ID on the money order
- $ 16 S-XL, $18 XXL- and up Southern Charm Salon, v-neck Shirt Cash/Money Order
- $3 cash for photo
- Social Security number (If you do not have one, it is okay.)
Cosmetology II fees
- Cosmetology Kit MONEY ORDER $212
- Prepaid Credit Card $176
- V-neck shirt MONEY ORDER $16 S-XL, $18 2XL
*prices are subject to change, the fees shown above are an estimate
Instructor: Daniel Gonzalez
South Garland is proud of our Auto Body Collision Repair program. We are very excited to have this program with it's dynamic teachers housed at our campus. We look forward to many great things from these students. If you would like to be a part of this prestigious program, see your counselor today and get signed up.
Auto Body students design, paint, and install panels for library.
Auto Body students repair and transform a 20 year old picnic table for the Senior courtyard.
Students learn how to remove dents, repair, and paint vehicles.
The Automotive Technology program is open to all sophomores, juniors and seniors. Students learn the functions of the major automotive systems and the principals of diagnosing and servicing these systems.
In Automotive Technology, students gain knowledge and skills in the repair, maintenance, and diagnosis of vehicle systems.
Students are provided the opportunity to earn ASE Entry Level Certifications. There are 10 tests. Each are a certification. We also have ASE Refrigerant and Recovery Certification. This is a lifetime certification that all technicians must have to comply with the EPA.
If tinkering with cars and trucks is interesting to you, then this is the place to be.
Dallas County Promise is a program that offers students free college tuition. Your grades and household income don't disqualify you, and you will not be locked into a commitment in case you have other ideas for life after high school. For more information take a look at the requirements below and speak with a SGHS counselor today.
Important things to know for promise:
- No income or GPA required
- No essays
- Non-negotiable deadline
- Non-citizens must meet Texas residency requirements
Three steps to receive tuition promise & success coach
1. Pledge and apply due Senior Year by February 5, 2021
- Make your Promise Pledge at Dallas County Promise.
- Your pledge is only complete once you see a submission confirmation.
- You must complete application to Promise Partner College through ApplyTX or the college's admissions application.
2. Submit your financial aide application Senior Year by March 5, 2021:
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and list Promise Partner college or Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA)
3. Enroll Senior Year by July 31, 2020:
- Complete Promise Partner College Registration for Fall Semester