Financial aid & scholarships
You MUST complete and submit a FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid - as soon as possible after October 1, 2021. This is the only way to apply for federal student aid for college or career school - and for most state and institutional aid. Financial aid offices use information from the FAFSA to determine if you are eligible to receive federal student aid (grants, loans, and work-study programs). Be SURE to file a FAFSA even if you think you won't qualify so you won't be locked out of monetary awards. If you aren’t sure you qualify for the FAFSA, you may need to fill out a TASFA (Texas Application for State Financial Aid). Come by the counselor’s office for help with either one.
Go to FAFSA to apply online. If you would like to have a FAFSA worksheet before going online to apply, pick one up in the counselors' office. Check the calendar of events for district and school financial aid workshops.
For more information on financial aid, check out GISD Financial Aid page.
If you find FAFSA confusing, you are not alone. Help can be found in the SGHS Counselors' offices or you can take a look at the FAFSA produced instructional video.
FAFSA/TASFA events at SGHS
SGHS is offering multiple opportunities for students and parents to receive help filing for financial aid. Counselors and staff will be available to offer help on the following dates and times:
Financial Aid Thursdays
- Any Thursday from October 14th to December 2nd
- Students can go in the Go Center during the day and parents will be able to have a virtual meeting with Ms. Ugalde (college advisor)
Financial Aid Nights
- October 12th 4 p.m. -7.p.m.
- October 23rd 3 p.m. - 6 p.m.
- November 16th 3 p.m. - 6 p.m.
- November 30th 3 p.m. -6 p.m.
Location for Financial Aid Nights is in the Go Center and Rm 114.
What to bring:
- Student's Social Security Card or number
- Student's 2020 W-2 Forms (If applicable)
- Student's 2020 Federal Income Tax Return (If Applicable)
- Parent's Social Security Cards or Numbers
- Parent's 2020 W-2 Forms 6. Parent's 2020 Federal Income Tax Return