Policies & procedures
We love our Shorehaven volunteers
Parents! We welcome your involvement in our classroom and field trip activities. If you are interested in volunteering for an event, please contact your child's teacher, or our office manager, at 972-494-8346 for additional information.
Remember: we are here to help make our students the very best they can be!
Dear Shorehaven Families:
We would like to encourage all Shorehaven parents, students and staff to assist us in our commitment to excellent student attendance. Since research shows a positive correlation between high student achievement and regular school attendance, we should all recognize the significance of good student attendance. Our position and that of the Garland Independent School District is that ALL absences are an important matter.
To begin this year’s record we want all students and parents to be aware of and understand our attendance policies and procedures.
- Each time a student is absent, a not explaining the absence is required to excuse the absence. If a note is not returned within 3 days after the student returns, the absence will be deemed as unexcused.
- Absences are excused when the student is out because of illness, doctor’s appointment, or a death in the family.
- According to district policy, any grades taken on the day of an unexcused absence may be subject to a 10 point deduction per day up to a maximum of 30 points over a 3 day period.
- After 3 unexcused full or partial day absences within a 4 week window (10 within a 6 month window) the district will generate a warning letter informing parents that further unexcused absences may result in court filing.
- Late arrivals/early pick ups are a part of a student’s attendance record. Both are categorized as “partial day absences.” A note from a doctor is required in order to excuse the partial day absence.
- The Attendance Committee realized that often it is difficult to make a dentist/doctor’s appointment that does not conflict with school hours. It is our preference that a child miss the last few minutes of the day rather than have an appointment in the middle of our instructional day. We always appreciate the efforts you make to schedule around school hours.
- According to GISD policy, if a student has unexcused absences and/or has been in attendance less than 90% of the year, the students can be retained for excessive absences.
We at Shorehaven believe that regular attendance can help students achieve their full potential and develop good habits that will be valuable throughout life. Thank you for your support and cooperation in this important matter.
Krista McClure, Principal
Lunch and Birthdays
If you would like to share lunch time with your child, please call our front desk (972-494-8346) to determine your child's lunch time. Some days are restricted due to testing or other educational requirements.
GISD policy allows individually-wrapped, factory-labeled treats to be delivered to our school for after-school time distribution. Lunchtime celebrations are not allowed in our District. Please call our Office for details of this new policy, we love to celebrate birthdays! Also call us for details regarding having your child's birthday recognized on our school billboard, in front of our school!
Campus Improvement Plan
A Campus Improvement Plan serves as the blueprint for how a campus will address performance objectives and other campus needs that have been identified from a Campus Needs Assessment.
The Campus Parent Involvement Policy explains how our campus supports the important role of parents in the education of their children. We offer a Parent Compact to establish a partnership among parents, school staff, and students for improving student academic achievement.
To support our mission of providing an exceptional education to all students, we have created policies designed to help your student have the best possible education experience.
- Student Code of Conduct & Handbook (PDF)
- Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) (PDF)
- Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)-Spanish (PDF)
- Parent Involvement Policy
Visit the Policies page on the district website for additional polices and related information.