Advancement Via Individual Determination's (AVID) mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
AVID is an academic, regularly scheduled elective class, during the school day, based on writing as a tool of learning, the inquiry method, and collaborative grouping. The three main components of the program are:
- Academic instruction
- Tutorial support
- Motivational activities
The AVID student
AVID students are students in the middle, capable of completing a college preparatory path with support. These students often are not realizing their full potential academically. In the identification process a number of criteria are considered, including:
- State Scores
- 2.0 – 3.5 GPA
- Desire and Determination
- First in the Family to Attend College
- Historically Underrepresented in 4-year colleges/universities
- Economically Disadvantaged
- Other Special Circumstances
- Are you wanting to go college but have not idea how to get there?
- Will you be the first person in your family to go college but you don't know where to start?
- Are you just looking for a way to get organized and be successful in your classes?
- AVID can HELP.
- Please come talk to Mrs. Kendall in room 2014. She will take down your contact information, and will be in touch during one of our two recruitment periods this school year (Fall and Spring).
Mrs. Tiffani Kendall
AVID Site Coordinator
AVID Elective Teacher