Emergency Response Sim
The 3rd year Computer Science and 3rd year Animation students working with the Sachse Fire Dept. and the City of Sachse.
A course that is creating the City of Sachse in a virtual environment for emergency response training.
After seeing a proof of concept project, the Sachse Fire Dept. asked if the school could complete a training simulation for them in virtual reality focusing on the driver training first and eventually branching out to encompass other aspects of their job such as: train derailments, car accidents, gas line leaks, and of course residential and commercial fires.
While providing a real-world work experience in the classroom as students work on a public service project that incorporates cutting edge technology, the end result should also lower maintenance and fuel costs and enhance training and efficiency for our emergency responders.
Working in small groups/departments, the students mimic the work environment by having a client (the fire dept.), short- and long-term goals, meetings and presentations as they progress through the course. Students work with various programs including: CityEngine, 3ds Max, Maya, Substance Painter, Photoshop, the Unity game engine, and various SDKs (software development kits) for things like Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, and Leap Motion.
In the three years of our relationship with the fire dept. and city:
- The Mayor has visited the students and classroom at least once a year
- The fire dept personnel have visited at least once a semester
- Students have visited the fire station once a year
- The program has been featured on channel 33 (WB) news, Dallas Innovates , and Al Dia, Rowlett Lakeshore Times, Sachse News newspapers, and Military Simulation and Training Magazine under Future Leaders.
- Students have presented their work at ERSI’s Education Summit and User Conference in San Diego during the summer of 2018 and 2019.
- Students also presented work at I/ITSEC 2018 in Orlando
- Professors from University of Texas at Dallas (UTD) and Arizona State University have attended student presentations.
- Representatives from several local companies have attended student presentations and interacted with the students providing feedback and, in some cases, information on job and internship opportunities.
For Further Information: Contact Erik Bushland or Jessica Garcia