G.I.S. at Sachse High School
Geographic Information Systems (GIS): The science of where and use location to determine patterns and needs or helps solve questions and problems. Some examples:
- The Environment - what are the flood patterns, where are the animals and their migratory patterns, where should we locate parks;
- Health - where did the disease originate, where is it spreading, or what factors are near heart attack clusters;
- Business - where are the suppliers and customers, where best to expand;
- National security - where are the threats and vulnerabilities?
Sachse has teamed up with Brookhaven Community College to offer up to 14 hours of Dual Credit through DCCCD.
From the Bureau of Labor Statistics:
Cartographers and Photogrammetrists (those who collect, measure, and interpret geographic information)
- Median Pay: $63,900 in May 2017
- Job Outlook 2016-2026: +19% (Much faster than average)
- Spatial Technologies and Remote Sensing – Drones, GPS Devices, Hiking and Mapping
- Intro to Geographic Information Systems (dual credit)
- Intro to Raster-Based Geographic Information Systems (dual credit)
Sponsoring Teacher/Department Head