School spirit & history
- Maroon and White
School mission statement:
Our goal at Weaver Elementary is to create life-long learners by creating a safe and engaging school environment where all students feel supported by the teachers, administrators, parents, and community.
Weaver Elementary first opened in 1965. The first principal was Mr. Jerry Young. Weaver is named for Mr. C. A. Weaver who, in 1884, came to Garland and bought land for a farm. The boundary of the farm was approximately the area surrounded by Castle Road to East Buckingham and from Lavon Drive to North Country Club. He brought his wife and eight children to the farm. They worked very hard to make it successful.
They had a good size family garden where they raised food to eat and share with others. However, the real cash crop was the many acres of cotton. Back then, no one had air conditioning, and just like in our time, the summers were dreadfully hot. The family and farm hands would get very sweaty working on the farm, so they had to drink a lot of water to stay healthy.
Because Mr. Weaver worked hard, practiced wise budgeting, and gave respect to those around him. The people of the tiny, but quickly growing town, looked up to him. The town people respected him as a successful family man, farmer, and a wise leader. He became a prominent member of the little place that was to become Garland. Because most farmers in the area grew cotton as their cash crop, a large cotton gin was purchased and located on Avenue D. Mr. Weaver became the director of the gin.
Mr. Weaver lived a principle-driven life of character. The way he treated his family, the respect he showed to folks in the community, and his dedication to his church gave him many opportunities to help others. One example of his hard work and effective leadership was demonstrated when a need shown for the community to find a good location for a cemetery. Mr. Weaver, by using his leadership skills, was instrumental in opening the "Mills Cemetery." Another example was a time the church he attended decided to build a nice place to meet. Again, the folks looked to him and others like him to establish the designs, funding, and to oversee the construction. The church honored Mr. Weaver by asking him to help lay the cornerstone for the First Presbyterian Church of Garland in 1925.
Mr. Weaver and his wife lived a long time. His farm is now gone. Today, many streets and houses cover the Weaver Family farmland, and the C. A. Weaver School proudly displays his name. Perhaps, as someone digs in the rich black soil of the old farm to plant his or her own family garden, an old tool or some other artifact long ago left behind on the Weaver Farm may be uncovered. Where once cotton grew as a way to not only support a family but also to help others, children being raised who in turn can follow Mr. Weaver’s example. Where once barns and equipment sheds sheltered the tools of the farm, family homes and the C. A. Weaver Elementary School provide sanctuary to children to learn and flourish. Mr. Weaver wanted his children educated, and he saw the need for the schools of Garland to be the best.
In 1965, Garland honored Mr. C. A. Weaver by building and dedicating the C. A. Weaver Elementary School. Parents, teachers, and students continue to bring honor to Mr. Weaver and his tradition of working hard, showing respect, and bringing to those around him sound leadership demonstrated by making wise decisions.